Spicy Lentil Cakes with Tomato Dip. Makes: 36. Serves 18.
For the Lentil Cakes
450g KTC Chana Dal
300g KTC Mung Dal
225g KTC Red Lentils
9 tbsp KTC Rapeseed Oil
3 onions, finely chopped
3 large or 6 small carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
3 tsp KTC Minced Garlic
4½ tbsp KTC Minced Ginger
3 tsp KTC Ground Coriander
3 tsp KTC Ground Cumin
¾ tsp KTC extra hot chilli powder
150g baby spinach
large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped (approx. 90g)
3 tsp KTC Lime Juice
gram flour for dusting
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Tomato Dip
3 tbsp KTC Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 small/medium onions, finely chopped
3 tsp KTC Minced Garlic
3 tsp KTC Minced Ginger
3 x 400g tin KTC Chopped Tomatoes
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp sugar
3 tsp KTC Chilli Powder
- Soak the chana dal in plenty of cold water for 2 hours. Drain, rinse and tip into a large saucepan.
- Wash the mung dal in plenty of cold water and tip into the pan with the chana dal. Cover with 3 litres of water, bring to the boil, skim off any residue that appears on the surface, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until tender the drain.
- Wash the red lentils and tip into a separate pan. Cover with water and simmer for 8-10 minutes until tender but still holding their shape, then drain.
- While the lentils are cooking prepare the rest of the mixture. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes until soft and translucent but not browned. Add the carrot, garlic, ginger and spices, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Tip into the bowl of a food processor along with all the lentils, spinach, coriander and lime juice, blitz until well combined.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dip other than the onion in a saucepan and gently simmer for 8 minutes. Squash the tomatoes with the back of a spoon and adjust the heat of the dip to taste with a little more chilli and seasoning. Serve warm, with the raw red onion stirred through for extra texture.
- Take a large spoonful of the lentil cake mixture, roll into a ball, then press to form patties. Dust with gram flour and repeat with all the mixture – it should make 26. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan to a moderate/high heat. Carefully fry half the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the second batch and serve.