Spicy Vegetable Samosas. Makes: 30-32
For the Pastry
2 packs filo pastry (filo should be cut into thirds lengthways about 40cm x 9cm each)
2 free range egg, lightly beaten
4 tsp KTC Vegetable Oil
1 tsp KTC Coriander Seeds, crushed
For the Filling
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced, small
200g frozen peas
300g KTC Tinned Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
4 medium onions, finely diced
6-8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp KTC Minced Ginger
2 tsp salt
1 tsp KTC Turmeric
2 tsp KTC Extra Hot Chilli Powder
2 tsp KTC Garam Masala
2 handfuls of coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp KTC Lemon Juice
For the Green Chutney
2 x large handfuls of coriander leaves
2 x large handfuls of mint leaves
1 tsp KTC Extra Hot Chilli Powder
2 small onions, roughly chopped
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp KTC Cumin
½ tsp KTC Coriander
4 tsp KTC Lemon Juice
½ tsp salt
- To make the filling, cook the diced potato and carrot in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the peas and chick peas and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain well and tip the vegetables into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan over a low to medium heat and fry the onions for 10 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger paste and fry for 1 minute. Add the salt, turmeric, chilli powder and green chillies and fry for another 1 minute. Increase the heat to medium/high, add the vegetables and the garam masala and cook for 2 minutes, adding a splash of water so it doesn’t catch and let the water evaporate. Leave to cool then stir in the coriander and lemon juice.
- To assemble. Take a strip of pastry, keeping the rest covered to prevent drying out. With the long side facing you, make a cone by folding the bottom left corner up to meet the top right corner to form a triangle the fold it over on itself to the right again. Holding it gently fill it 2/3rds full with the vegetable mixture. Brush the edges with egg and press to seal, then fold the pastry up and over into a triangle and seal with more egg.
- Place the samosas on a lightly oiled non stick baking tray, brush the tops with the remaining oil, scatter over the coriander seeds and bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- To make the chutney put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz into a medium- rough paste and serve with the samosas.