Vegetable Moussaka. Makes: 32
12 medium aubergines sliced
20 tbsp KTC Extra Virgin Olive Oil
600g KTC Red Lentils
4 onions, finely chopped
8 carrots, peeled and diced
8 tsp oregano
4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp KTC Minced Garlic
4 sweet potato, peeled and diced
8 courgettes cut into chunky pieces
4 red pepper, deseeded and diced
8 x 400g KTC Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
400ml of stock
8 x 400g KTC Tinned Rosecoco Beans, drained and rinsed
4 bunches of mint, roughly chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Sauce
2 tsp English mustard powder
2.4 litres milk
1kg ricotta cheese
400g grated cheddar cheese
12 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Heat oven to 220°C Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with 3 tablespoons of oil then lay on four large baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes until tender, turning once. Turn the oven down to 180°C.
- Wash the pre-soaked red lentils (as per pack instructions) and tip into a small saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes then drain.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until soft and translucent but not coloured. Add the carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes then add the oregano, cinnamon and garlic paste, stir for 1 minute before adding the sweet potato, courgette, pepper, tinned tomatoes and cooked lentils. Simmer, part covered for 20 minutes. Add the beans and mint, season to taste and heat through for 2 minutes.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small pan then stir in the flour and mustard powder until you have a smooth roux. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until thick. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the ricotta and cheddar. Stir until the cheese melts. Season to taste.
- To assemble, spoon half the vegetable mixture into a large oven proof dishes, then arrange half the aubergines in a single layer, then half the cheese sauce. Repeat and sprinkle the top with Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through and the top is bubbling and golden brown.