Scented Alphonso Mango Pavlova. Makes: 8
3 tsp cornflour
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch of salt
250g caster sugar
850g can KTC Alphonso Mango Slices
2 tbsp pistachios (or flaked almonds)
2 tsp milk
a few stands of saffron
20 cardamom pods
160ml whipping cream
400g plain yoghurt
3 tsbp icing sugar, sifted
850g KTC Alphonso Mango Pulp to drizzle over the top
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375F, gas 5.
2. Scatter the pistachio nuts for the filling on a baking tray and roast lightly for 3 or 4 minutes. Cool slightly, chop and set aside.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C, 275F, gas 1. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and draw a circle on it. Turn the paper over so the pencil mark is underneath.
4. To make the meringue, in a small bowl, mix the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract. In a very clean, dry, grease-free bowl, place the egg whites and salt.
5. Using a food mixer or a bowl and a handheld electric whisk, whisk until soft peaks form, then continue to whisk, adding the sugar a large spoon at a time, alternating with the cornflour mix.
6. Spoon the meringue into the circle on the tray, hollowing the centre and building the sides higher. Bake for one hour, then turn the oven off, leaving the meringue inside until cold.
7. You can store it now in an airtight container for a few days.
8. Warm the milk in a small pan and add the saffron. Set aside. With the point of a knife, split the husk of each cardamom pod and empty the seeds into a mortar. Grind to a powder, then sift to remove the husks.
9. In a bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in the yoghurt, cardamom, saffron milk and icing sugar.
When ready to serve, place the pavlova on a cake stand or plate.
10. Spoon in the deliciously scented yoghurt cream. Arrange the sliced mangos on top.
11. Scatter over the roasted pistachios and drizzle over some of the mango pulp. Sprinkle the edible flowers across the top.