Curry flavours infused into a warming butternut squash soup.. Makes: 4
1 butternut squash
1 red onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
3cm piece ginger, grated
2 red chillies, chopped (keep some for garnish)
500ml water or chicken stock
50ml coconut cream
- Slice the squash into four long strips, remove the seeds and place on a tray with a little knob of butter on each and roast at 180°C for about 35 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile heat some oil and add cumin seeds until fragrant, then add onions and cook gently until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and chilli and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Once the squash is soft scrape the flesh out and discard the skin. Stir the flesh into the onions.
- Add the stock and cook through until everything is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Using a hand blender blitz the soup until it’s smooth and thick. Pour in the coconut cream and if it’s too thick add a little hot water.
- Pour into bowls and top with a swirl of coconut cream and a chopped chilli. Serve with some crisp naan bread.