Kale and Chickpea Curry (Sholay Saag). Makes: 4. A super healthy vegetarian dish brimming with creamy flavours and vitamins.
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 plum tomatoes or 200g KTC plum tomatoes
800g/2 tins KTC chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 heaped tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 green chilli, chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
200g kale, chopped
1 green chilli, sliced
- Heat the oil in a lidded pan over a medium heat and when it’s hot add the mustard seeds and then the cumin seeds.
- Stir for a minute until you can smell the aroma of the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds stop sizzling, then add the diced onions.
- Fry the onions for 15 minutes until they start to brown, then add the garlic. Fry together for 4 minutes before adding the tomatoes, stir and leave to cook for a few minutes. Add a little water if required.
- Add the crushed coriander, green chilli, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and leave to cook on a gentle heat until the tomatoes start to break down and create a thick masala sauce (about 10 minutes).
- Turn the heat up to thicken the sauce a little if required.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat them with the masala. Add a splash of water and let them simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale, a handful at a time, stirring in between. Leave this to cook for 5 minutes until kale is soft and tender. Top with the sliced chilli and serve with poori with some fresh plain yoghurt.