Lentil and Coconut Curry with Egg and Lime Chutney. Makes: 4
150g KTC brown lentils
200g KTC creamed coconut
1 tsp KTC cumin seeds
1 tsp KTC coriander seeds
1 tsp KTC fennel seeds
2 tbsp KTC rapeseed oil
2 onions, finely sliced
3 tsp KTC lime chutney
½ tsp KTC extra hot chilli powder
2 tsp KTC turmeric
2 tsp KTC garam masala
2 tsp KTC garlic puree
3 tsp KTC ginger puree
4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
KTC basmati rice, steamed
- Firstly soak the lentils in plenty of cold water as per pack instructions. Drain and tip into a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Prepare the creamed coconut as per pack instructions and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over a moderate heat. Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Toast for approx 2 minutes until they start to smell aromatic and start to pop. Tip into a pestle and mortar. Leave to cool a little before grinding into a fine powder.
- Return the empty pan to a medium-high heat, add the oil and when hot add the chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, garlic and ginger as well as the ground spices. Stir to heat through for 2 minutes. Add the lentils and stir to coat on a gentle heat for 15 minutes until they are tender, stirring often to prevent sticking. Season to taste with salt and lime juice
- Serve immediately on a bed of basmati and top with the eggs and coriander.