Chicken in a Spiced Yoghurt. Makes: 4
4 chicken legs, skinned and trimmed
1 tbsp KTC mustard oil
1 large lemon
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cm piece of ginger, grated
1 green chilli, finely chopped
200ml Greek yoghurt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin seeds, crushed
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves.
Handful of coriander with chopped lemon wedges
- Wash the chicken pieces and leave to drain. Ensure the chicken is thoroughly dry, then slash the meat diagonally before marinating.
- Blend the garlic, ginger, chilli in a pestle and mortar blender with lemon juice.
- Place the dry chicken in a dish and stir in the blended ingredients. Pour on the lemon juice and the KTC mustard oil.
- In a separate dish, mix the remaining ingredients (salt, garam masala, ground cumin seeds, Kashmiri red chilli powder, dried fenugreek leaves) with the yoghurt to create a paste. Add this yoghurt paste to the chicken and massage into the meat using your hands.
- Cover, refrigerate and leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. Heat the oven to 180oC.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to an oven tray and cook for about 30-40 minutes. The chicken should be tender and a little charred, which helps give the smokey flavour. Even better: cook this on the barbeque!
I always have this chicken recipe as a starter with a green salad. The one thing you have to have with this tandoori chicken is raw onions that have been soaked in salted water, drained and then drenched in lemon juice.