Vegetable Spicy Rice (vegan). Makes: 4 (as a side)
For the rice and vegetables
250g extra firm tofu
185g long or short grain brown rice, rinsed thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer
2 tsp KTC Minced Garlic
100g chopped green spring onions
2 small green chillies, sliced
64g carrots, finely diced
64g red peppers, diced
For the sauce
3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce, plus more for veggies and to taste
1 tbsp peanut butter
2-3 tbsp organic brown sugar, muscovado, or maple syrup
1 tsp KTC Minced Garlic
1-2 tsp chilli garlic sauce (more or less depending on preferred spice)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (or grape seed oil)
- Preheat oven to 200°C, gas mark 6, 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease with non-stick spray).
- In the meantime wrap the tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) to press out the liquid.
- Once the oven is pre-heated, dice the tofu into ¼ inch cubes and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 26-30 minutes. You’re looking for golden brown edges and a texture that’s firm to the touch. The longer it bakes the firmer and crispier it will become so if you’re looking for softer tofu remove from the oven around the 26-28 minute mark. Set aside.
- While the tofu bakes prepare your rice by bringing 2.5 litres of water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, add rinsed rice and stir. Boil on high uncovered for 30 minutes, then strain for 10 seconds and return to pot removed from the heat. Cover with a lid and let steam for 10 minutes.
- While the rice and tofu are cooking prepare the sauce by adding all the ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more tamari or soy for saltiness, peanut butter for creaminess, brown sugar for sweetness, or chilli garlic sauce for heat.
- Once the tofu is cooked, add directly to the sauce and marinate for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, use a slotted spoon to scoop the tofu into the pan leaving most of the sauce behind. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides. Lower heat if browning too quickly. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the still hot pan add garlic, green onion, peas, chilli, peppers and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season with 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce.
- Add the cooked rice, tofu and remaining sauce and stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately with extra chili garlic sauce for heat (optional). Crushed salted, roasted peanuts or cashews make a lovely additional garnish with sesame seeds too. Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days, though best when fresh. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave.